While most Americans probably are not familiar with this dish, it is something that most any Brit is well familiar with. Traditionally a desert recipe, I could see having something like this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Joking aside, this dish is rich and resemblance french toast. If you are intrigued, give it a try.
- 10-15 pieces of bread
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of superfine sugar
- 1 cup of cream
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 cup of salted butter (melted)
- 8 ounces of dark chocolate (chopped)
- Remove the crust from the pieces of bread.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Then put it to the side.
- Pour the milk, cream and vanilla into a pan. Warm it on low heat.
- Once warm, slowly whisk the mixture into the eggs and sugar.
- Strain the mixture and let it cool.
- Spread butter on the slices of bread and set them on a baking dish.
- Over the top of the bread, sprinkle the chopped chocolate.
- Follow this with another layer of bread and another layer of chocolate.
- Drizzle the mixture from earlier on top of the slices.
- Let the bread soak in the milk mix for about 30 minutes.
- In a preheated oven, bake for about 45 minutes @ 275 ° F.
- After removing from oven, refrigerate the pudding.
This is best served warm and sprinkled with a little confectioner's sugar.
Cooking time (duration): 90 Minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6 People