Fuzzy mould on side of jar after using pineapple juice with starter
It is now day 3 of my pineapple juice and rye sourdough starter adventure and just as I was about to feed it, I saw that mould with little hairs has formed on all 4 sides of the jar (see pic of one side). I think it has developed because I didn’t clean the sides of the jar and the residue has given it a pleasant environment to form. The smell is yeasty with a little hint of pineapple.
I don’t have an issue with throwing it away and starting fresh. Next time I’ll remember to clean the sides not to allow for any nasties to grow. The question is whether it’s still a fine sourdough starter which will give me the fantastic bread everyone is talking about.
If it’s better to stick with what I have now, what is the best way to clean it off? Will a kitchen towel be enough or should I transfer it to a temporary jar and wash this one thoroughly?