Breadfruit is found in abundance in the Pacific. When in season breadfruits make a lovely change to bananas in recipes. Ripe breadfruits in particular add a unique tang to cakes. The breadfruit for this recipe must be very ripe and soft.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup mashed ripe breadfruit
- 1 cup sugar
- teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- cup milk
- Beat the butter and the sugar until creamy
- Add vanilla and beat in eggs, eggs should be added one at a time.
- Sift flour and baking powder and put aside.
- Mix baking soda with milk.
- Mix the breadfruit with the butter, sugar, egg and baking soda.
- Stir until it is well mixed and put mixture in as well greased tin.
- Bake for about 45 minutes at 160 degree Celsius (325 F) or until cooked.
Spoon the ready made mixture into patty pans and cook for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Top with vanilla icing and serve with ice cream (optional)
This is a nice change to banana cake which is very common. Substituting breadfruit into banana gives the cake a unique taste. Add on to your desert recipes and try making this cake for your next occasion at home. It can make a lovely desert for your dinner guests. Serve with ice-cream and observe the reaction. You can also make lovely cup cakes with the mixture, top with fresh cream. The kids will just love you for it.