Sourdough No.2

Sourdough No.2

Hot on the heels of last week’s first attempt and the fantastic welcome I received from everyone I thought I would attempt to make my very first blog post following my second attempt at a sourdough loaf.

The starter used is the same as last week which followed a Paul Hollywood starter recipe using organic grapes to get the natural yeasts flowing, it seems to have survive the week despite my best efforts to ignore it!

So, last week’s starter was topped off with 75g plain flour and 75g tepid water allowed to sit on the kitchen worktop for 24 hours (ish) and then put in the fridge.

On Wednesday I retrieved the starter jar, removed approx. 150g and the added 75/75 of flour and water again. I then put it back in the fridge without letting it sit on the worktop at all.

Friday evening (7pm) I removed the starter from the fridge and allowed it to come up to room temp. 15° Celsius (60°F?)

I made a sponge or Poolish or whatever name people give to this phase using:

300g Plain Flour (Is this what some people call “all purpose flour”?)
115g water

This was whisked into a smooth batter, covered and placed into the fridge.

1pm – I removed the “Sponge” from the fridge and left for an hour to come up to approx. room temp. 18°C.
2pm – I made a rough dough using 350g flour, 110ml of water and 5g of salt.
2:20pm – I emptied the rough dough onto a floured worktop and kneaded for approx. 10 mins until elastic and stretchy. Placed it in an oiled bowl. covered and left alone.
3:30pm – Removed from bowl and did a stretch and fold routine simply pulling the dough out and folding it back on top of itself in a North, South, East & West direction. If that doesn’t make sense, use a clock and go 12, 6, 3 & 9 🙂 Back in the bowl to rest again.
4:30pm Stretch and fold again as above. Then placed into Banneton (Brotform) to prove. This seemed to happen really quickly and it had risen almost to the top of the basket within an hour.
5:30pm Fan Oven preheated to 220°C (430°F) tray beneath shelf ready for hot water.

Dough turned out onto floured baking sheet, which was a little too small (so I now have a loaf with a straight edge!), top cut with a sharp knife in a cross and placed in the oven followed by a small jug of hot water into the tray beneath.

6:15pm Bread risen and turning a nice golden colour, water tray removed and door left slightly open for approx. 5 mins to allow moisture to escape from oven completely.

6:25pm Loaf removed from oven and placed onto rack to cool.


Source: Fresh Loaf