Hydration is always important for our bodies but it’s especially important when the weather gets hot. We also might be sweating more than normal so we are losing fluids that need to be replenished. Naturally, we need a way to cool down and hydrate the body. I always recommend drinking fresh, natural spring water or at least water that has been re-mineralized. Drink approximately half of your body weight (in pounds) in ounces of water per day. Keep a water bottle near by so you are always reminded to have a sip! Now, I know not everyone is a fan of plain water so there’s nothing wrong with infusing water naturally with some fruit slices, cucumber slices, or mint leaves. Since watermelon is popular in the summer time and tastes oh so delicious I have two fun recipes for you to enjoy.
First, let’s discover a few benefits of watermelon:
1. Naturally hydrating
2. High in lycopene
3. Contains beneficial amino acids
4. Anti-inflammatory properties
5. Packed with antioxidants
Watermelon Slushie – makes 1 serving (vegan)
3 cups seedless watermelon, chopped
1 cup ice
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1. Place all ingredients except the lime into a high-speed blender.
2. Chop the lime in half and squeeze the juice into the blender. Discard the flesh and skin of the lime.
3. Blend the ingredients together until combined. If you let the drink sit it will separate a bit so just stir it as needed.
Watermelon Pizza or Salad – makes 1-2 servings
5-6 watermelon slices (keep rind on for pizza, it’s easier to hold this way)
1/3 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup walnut pieces
1/4 cup feta cheese (optional)
2-3 fresh mint leaves
Directions For Pizza:
1. Place all of the watermelon slices on a flat surface.
2. Sprinkle on each ingredient evenly between all slices. Eat like you would a pizza slice!
Directions For Salad:
1. Take the slices and chop them into chunks. Discard the rind.
2. Place the chunks into 1 or 2 bowls and sprinkle on the remaining ingredients.
3. Stir gently to combine and enjoy!
Those are some simple and fun recipes to try this summer. You can certainly always just eat the slices as is or chop the watermelon into chunks, but if you want something different and creative, it never hurts to experiment. You will be staying cool and hydrated and it will taste delicious!